Powered by Blogger.

I took a day of rest today

Sunday, 4 November 2012

I remembered to set all of my clocks back last night, but it seems to have resulted in a night of fitful sleep for me.  I think maybe I’m starting to get the pre-doctor-visit jitters.  I hate going to the doctor, and I’m rather dreading the outcome of this visit.  I know something has to be done, but I’m still not looking forward to it.

With my weak wifi signal and variable air card signal here, I saved some of my photos from yesterday for tonight’s post.  I can’t pack a post too full of photos or it would never make it to blogland.

71 Okefenokee NWR 2012-136

It will be a butterfly night this time.  The Gulf Fritillaries are very abundant along the back roads of the refuge.  They are fluttering about all over, and especially like these purple flowers.  I think maybe someone told me the flowers were deer tongues or something like that, but I’m not sure.  In the middle pic of the collage you might also notice a black and white bee honing in.  I sure wish I knew the name of every plant and insect I see, but my brain just can’t seem to hold all that information.


                                                   Each bloom seemed to attract multiple insects.


Using my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies, I was able to identify this  beauty as a Buckeye.  It was resting on a pine needle on the sandy ground.  I have been quite surprised to find the soil here very sandy.  Apparently this area was a seabed in ancient times.  Edythe, one of the local volunteers, told me that when they drilled the well for their house sand dollars were dug up over 100’ below the surface of their yard.  Amazing!


I guess this is my favorite ‘capture’ of the day as it shows three butterflies and a couple of bees all coming to the blooms for some nectar.  I think the little butterflies in this photo and the one below are skippers, but I’m not exactly sure about that.


                                       This little guy had just taken off from this flowering plant. 

Anyway, about all I did today was my laundry for the week.  Other than that, I just rested up for going back to work for the next two days before my trek to the Mayo Clinic.  I did put the shock collar on Emma so she could burn off some energy as I slowly hobbled my way down one of the back roads.  I perhaps walked a half mile, but I’m thinking Emma put in several exuberant miles rushing from interesting scent to interesting scent.  Laughing out loud

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment


Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading