Powered by Blogger.

‘Shroom City

Thursday, 3 October 2013

With cooler temperatures and wetter weather, the mushrooms are popping up all over.

IMG_0320

                                        All of tonight’s pics are from the yard surrounding my rig.

There’s not much going on around here as I sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for next Monday’s refrigerator appointment.  With the government shut down, there is next to no activity on the refuge.

IMG_0325

                                                                “For Whom the Bell Tolls” ?

Before making my trip for ice and propane yesterday, I did meet a fellow blogger for lunch at Ice Cracking Lodge.  Had an enjoyable meal chatting with Connie of Far Side of Fifty fame.  She manages the Historical Museum in Fergus Falls, and is very familiar with the refuge and the wildflowers that bloom on it.  I wish I had her knowledge of wildflowers.

IMG_0326                                                                                   Twins? 

I struggled with getting the heavy extend-a-stay propane tank out of the car this morning, but I managed to get it to the side of the rig and hook it up.  With a predicted high of only 45* on Saturday with high winds and showers, I want to be sure I can be comfy inside the rig without putting on my winter coat.  Winking smile

It takes a village to raise a child

                                                           “It Takes a Village to Raise a Child”

Refuge Manager, Neil Power, stopped by the rig today, while I was crawling around taking the mushroom pictures, to see how I was doing.  We’re the only ones here since the shut down.  He is considered ‘essential staff’ so that’s why he’s still working.  I’m not sure if he’s getting paid, though.  We had an interesting conversation.

73 Tamarac NWR, 201333

It seems his duties have changed some since there is no support staff.  Besides patrolling the refuge daily, he’s had to walk down the driveway to collect the mail daily, and had to be in charge of watering the new sod at the remodeled headquarters building among other things.

Personally, I think that is a good thing.  Kind of like an episode of “Undercover Boss”.  He’s had to do a lot of the things that the worker bees on the refuge do.  It should help him appreciate all the work that goes on under him.  I don’t think he’s had to paint any posts though. Surprised smile

73 Tamarac NWR, 201332There’s another miserable forecast for tomorrow, so I think I’ll make a trip to Fargo.  With being stuck here longer than I’d planned, I’ll make another trip to the Breadsmith store.  Perhaps another malt on my way back?

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading