Powered by Blogger.

Busy day again

Thursday, 7 November 2013

I was off this morning to the refuge headquarters building in Anahuac to help Stephanie get ready for the Anahuac Wildlife Expo coming up a week from this coming Saturday.  There’s lots of work to do.  It’s inside work at this point, so I packed a lunch for my day at the office.  As you may guess, office work is low on my list of exciting and enjoyable endeavors, but it’s stuff that has to get done.  I’m a team player, and I know more exciting things are on my horizon.

We need some vans to handle transporting the crowd and volunteers to and from the venues for the event, and I asked to be the person to go up to Balcones Canyonlands NWR near Austin, TX, to borrow one of their vans.  I volunteered there for a couple of springs in the past, so I know where it is and would love to visit folks there again.  Since I was the first person to respond to Stephanie’s request to go pick up a van, I got that assignment for next week.  Considering I have to drive through Houston and Austin to get there, I’m thinking it would be best to make it an overnight assignment rather than to try to get there and back in one day in the daylight hours.  I’ll be working on the details tomorrow.

At one point in the day, I found out that I’ll be getting neighbors at the RV sites in Winnie.  One of the couples at the pads on the refuge are very uncomfortable there, and don’t feel safe.  I never had a problem with feeling safe the five times I stayed there, but apparently when the wife took their dog out after dark the other night, she encountered some feral hogs in the compound and it rather unnerved her.  So they’ll be moving into the other site here tomorrow. 

Since I was working in the office all day today, I don’t have any pictures for the blog tonight.  I am going to try to include a link, though, to a video that is less than four minutes long.  It was sent to me by Barbara W., a fellow volunteer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=BUOQ_yPW_0s

Just about all of this video was taken in Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, and the National Elk Refuge NWR, and so truly depicts the joy and peace that I experience as a volunteer on our nation’s National Wildlife Refuges.  I hope you’ll take the time to watch it.  My experiences have made so many of my dreams come true…

I also got a heads up today to a location on the refuge where a great congregation of roseate spoonbills is going on, so I hope to have some really ‘pink’ photos for you tomorrow.  I’ll try my best.  Open-mouthed smile

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading