Powered by Blogger.

Changes

Saturday, 23 November 2013

I remember my first winter on the road in 2006.  I was in Washington and Oregon.  Every night, I’d put on more and more layers of clothing as the temperature dropped outside the rig.  That was before my extend-a-stay propane tank, and I kept the thermostat at 68*.  Of course that meant the real temperature inside of that first motorhome was ten degrees colder than that.

I’ve got a better insulated rig now, and an extend-a-stay tank so I don’t have to pack up and move the rig to refill the propane, and I’m seven years older.  For me, the older I’ve gotten the more the cold effects my comfort.  Changes.

IMG_5001

                         Fulvous Whistling Ducks (and two coots) They really do make a whistling sound.

I now keep the thermostat at 79* in the evening before I go to bed.  The real temperature is about 73*, and my old bones and joints appreciate it.  There’s a rainy, very windy, cold front moving through right now, and the temps outside will probably dip down into the 30’s tonight.  I was born and raised a northern girl, but now I don’t want to experience cold.  Changes.

IMG_5049

                                                          White Ibis and Roseate Spoonbill

My attitude has changed over the years.  I’ve grown to like my creature comforts.  When I first hit the road, I thought I’d be doing lots of boondocking.  That’s not the way things worked out for me.  While I still haven’t been able to talk myself into trying one of those RV resort type places that many retirees enjoy for an extended amount of time, I do not want to boondock any longer.  I like my hook-ups, satellite TV, internet, and heat/AC.  I guess that’s why National Wildlife Refuges work so well for me.

IMG_5019

As winter approaches, there are also noticeable changes in nature.  The high winds are helping these cattails propagate.  If you look really closely, you can see the individual seeds about to blow off to hopefully land on fertile ground.

IMG_5023

And just look how some expired vine had intertwined with this cattail.  The seeds are clinging to everything.  What wonders there are to observe if we go slow enough.  One of the beauties of observing the changing seasons.

I’m hoping the rain stops by tomorrow so I can show my visitors some of the things I find so wonderful about Anahuac NWR.  If not, we’ll have to change our plans…

IMG_5050

                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading