Powered by Blogger.

Not much happening

Friday, 29 November 2013

It seems it’s been five days since I last posted something to this blog.  Been a long time since I took that many days off, but there just hasn’t been much going on around here.  After my visitors left on Sunday, it wasn’t long before the cold rains began and continued again for two whole days.

IMG_5128                                                                               White Ibis

Stephanie, the volunteer coordinator, was on vacation all week and hadn’t left me any assignments to work on.  So, I really had nothing to do but kick back and relax.  I took care of normal chores and such, but that gets old for me after a while.


                                            An Anhinga drying its feathers in the sun.

I hadn’t even set up the Hard Rock Bird Café since I arrived.  With my history of mice getting in the rig when I volunteer here, I decided not to put up the bird feeders.  This location is pretty much surrounded by cement, so I thought maybe I could spend the winter mouse-less.  Ha!  No one out at the volunteer village has had any mice yet, but I’ve already dispatched with two of them.  The sudden cold front must have sent them looking for warmth.  So, what the heck.  I put the feeders up this week.  Haven’t seen one bird yet, so no seed is dropping on the ground to attract rodents.

Merlin IMG_5114


I did spend yesterday afternoon over at the volunteer village having a delicious Thanksgiving turkey dinner.  While five of the volunteers were off visiting friends and relatives for the holiday, two of the couples and I shared dinner together.


                                                                           White Pelican

After another very frosty beginning to the day, the sun came out bright and shiny.  I waited for the car windshield to defrost, and then Emma and I took a drive around the refuge.  It was pretty busy since lots of people have a four day weekend.  No way I was going to battle any crowds at stores today.  Instead, we enjoyed a leisurely drive visiting my avian friends.


                                                                  Northern Shoveler (male)

I’ve got two more days off before any staff returns, and I’m not quite sure what I’ll do with myself.  I’m just not used to sitting around doing nothing, and I’d rather not do any touring on a holiday weekend.  I’ll think of something.


                                                                              THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading