Powered by Blogger.

Not a very pink day

Friday, 8 November 2013

After picking up the bird survey information that was stored at the RV pads on the refuge, I drove into the East Unit of the refuge to find the area that had a report of numerous roseate spoonbills.

IMG_9629

Donna, one of the other volunteers, asked if she could go along to see them.  I said, “Hop in!”  The area we were going to is closed to the public, and is about five miles back into the marsh.  There has been plenty of rain this year so the marsh is very wet with quite a few areas where the water covers the gravel road.

IMG_4837

As we neared a curve in the road, a family of river otters dashed across.  I came to a stop, and had a joyful time watching them go back and forth across the road.  I knew if I got too close, they would high tail it into the water.  I had to take this shot through the filthy windshield.  I don’t often see the otters on the refuge, so this was quite a thrill.

75 Anahuac NWR 2013-20142

As I inched forward and got out of the truck, they sure enough all dove into the water.  They splashed around for a minute or so before disappearing into the tall marsh grasses.  What a hoot!

IMG_4901

As we made our way closer to the intracoastal canal, we saw a dozen or so spoonbills here and there, but certainly not the numbers that were reported by staff yesterday.  That’s the trouble with birds.  They’ve got wings, and use them.

IMG_4897

All was not lost, though, as we saw thousands of American coots, and hundreds of other ducks taking advantage of the wetlands.  Close to the gravel road was also a nice flock of least sandpipers.  They are very small shorebirds.  I don’t believe the area we ended up in is open to hunting, and the birds seem to know it.  The number of waterfowl taken in the hunt here is merely a drop in the bucket compared to the number of wintering birds this refuge supports.

I would have spent more time driving around, but Donna needed to get back.  I don’t drive these back roads on hunt days, but I think I’ll be checking them out again on Monday.  You just never know what you’re going to see.

IMG_4914

When I made the decision to stay at the site in Winnie as opposed to the RV pads on the refuge, I figured I probably wouldn’t be seeing any of the cattle drives this year.  Today proved me wrong.  As I made my way back to the rig along FM 1985, I had to inch along behind this drive for about three miles.  Three miles per hour is about how fast these cattle walk along, so you can figure out how long those three miles took me.  I didn’t mind too much though.  Going that slow means that the deposited cow pies don’t splat all over your truck. Disappointed smile

It was a good morning on the refuge, and the encounter with the otters made my day.  In the afternoon, I welcomed my new neighbors as they set up next to me.  Tomorrow I’m working the hunt again.  I guess I’d better get to bed pretty soon.

IMG_4912

                                                                            THE END!!

Thanks for stopping by… talk to you later,  Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Most Reading